Sunday, September 15, 2013

Just had a thought

It's stupid. Actually it would work better on something like tumblr, but I don't actually have tumblr, so I can't put it there.

My thought was maybe the reason university is so hard is because we go from taking 30-level courses in high school to 100 level courses in university and that's like a jump of 70 so maybe that's why it's so hard?

I mean obviously this has no basis in fact but it makes sense, doesn't it?

Alright, back to my essay! It's coming along better now. I think I have a process for writing anything:

1) Read work. Think about it. Panic because ideas don't come to me instantly.
2) Start rambling. Just write down literally everything I think about the work until some idea comes out of there.
3) Highlight important stuff.
4) Attempt to organize important stuff into thesis & 3 arguments.
5) Realize my idea is shit and refine it just a little bit.
6) Highlight and organize again.
7) Realize that that idea is shit just before I start to write the paper.
8) Pace room, mutter to self about ideas.
9) Feel on verge of the right thing to write about, and know that what I had fits into it somehow.
10) Have sudden epiphany of how it all fits together, or how most of it does.
11) BS whatever I can't figure out so that it looks legit.
12) Write down the plan I just figured out.
13) Write essay.
14) Leave essay for something else.
15) Come back and edit essay. Check word count/wording/spelling/grammar.

The end! Step 10 is the iffy step, though... usually this process goes on over a couple of days but step 10 can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 hours. It happened with my TOK presentation. The night before, I realized it was shit, realized what I had could only be one little example, and whipped up a shitty-ass presentation from scratch after spending 2 hours walking around my bedroom, finding the perfect idea and then losing it because I didn't write it down, trying to find it again by making voice notes on my phone, finding something that wasn't quite as good but was good enough, and then throwing together a quick little powerpoint which paled in comparison to everyone else's presentations. If I'd had more time, I could have made it better, but I didn't. Whatever. I still got my IB diploma. And it was comforting to know that come hell or high water that presentation would have to be done by the next day. And then it was done and all was well.

OKAY SERIOUSLY I JUST NEED TO WRITE THIS THING AND NOW I GOT OUT OF THE MINDSET AUGH.

yer pal,
swegan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

comment-type-thingies