Thursday, September 19, 2013

I like jazz

Jazz is something that should always be played in the background of any gathering. Any. Gathering. It adds a touch of class to anything. Even Christmas. Christmas jazz is the best. Harry Connick Jr. and Nat King Cole all the way, man.
Jazz is also something that should be played at formal meals, in my opinion. It just makes everything cozier. It makes everything nicer. It makes everything fancier.

In case you couldn't tell, I am my parents' daughter. I have grown up on jazz music. I mean I can't stand 40s jazz on long car rides like they can, and don't get me wrong, I definitely love pop music, but I like jazz now. If I ever have a dinner party I will play jazz in the background. Someone played a little bit of it on the piano in the dining room the other night at dinner and it made everything perfect for a little bit. Jazz music. It is just wonderful.
Plus you haven't lived until you've heard Christmas jazz music. It is the soundtrack to every Christmas in my house. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Every meal, every lazy bit of the day, every waking moment (aside from opening presents) has jazz music in the background.

And sometimes at the cabin, my parents put jazz music on. They like to do this at dinner, or when they're making dinner, or just while they're out there enjoying themselves. Of course when Freckles and I wash the dishes we go full out guilty-pleasure songs (which means NICKI MINAJ DANCE PARTY WHAT UP) because it makes chores more fun. But usually, the music on there is jazz. It is our family's default setting. And at the cabin this summer, this one jazz song came on, but it was different from other jazz I'd heard. So I looked up the song title and I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x88YGN82wM&list=PLnNEsuJ258INdzcFt9-E6yLJayVL85Dse

I don't know why this particular piece of music has come to me. I feel like it has, through the magical power of TuneIn radio and however they select their songs. I just... I love it. It feels like a great adventure and yet a cozy day at the cabin all rolled up into one. It's perfect. Everything about it. There is very little instrumental jazz I will tolerate on its own not as background music. This might actually be the only instrumental jazz music I tolerate. It is that good.
Seriously. Just listen to it.


In other music words, I also still love Cayucas, the beachy hipster band I randomly found on youtube. I found one of their whole albums on youtube, too, which is awesome because SONGS I HAVEN'T HEARD BEFORE *excited eyeballs* and I don't understand how one band consistently makes songs I like and none I don't. It's weird.

Although... a few months ago, East Coast Girl was one of my favourite songs. Actually, it was my favourite. Now I listen and the magic is gone and it makes me very sad. Thankfully, the magic of the band is still very much alive and they have many great songs. I guess ECG was just one of those songs where you play it over and over and over and wear it out because how can you not play it over and over and over when it's four AM and you just got home from Ireland and are being irresponsible no that wasn't me, what are you talking about?

yer pal,
swegan :)

P.S. Oh in case you were curious, which I know you weren't, here's the album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cTX8Ut42LE

No comments:

Post a Comment

comment-type-thingies