Sunday, September 22, 2013

I chew a lot of gum

This is an appreciation post for that.

Actually technically I am supposed to be looking up a summary of Othello to make sure I'm understanding it correctly (Iago's going behind everyone's backs and fucking shit up but making it look like other people did it so that everyone will call him "honest" and "noble" forever, the fat little turd. I think he's doing it because he's jealous?), but I read a sparknotes post called "How to Stay Awake in Class" instead. And they didn't mention chewing gum, which is lame because that is all that's getting me through philosophy and chem right now.

I have both classes about an hour or two post-lunch, which is prime nap time. Plus, philosophy's one of those classes where the prof just rambles on and on quietly about things and I don't quite understand all of them but I make myself take copious notes (I'm sure the girl two seats over who never takes any thinks I'm either a) a keener, b) really stupid, or c) just a nerdy loser), which is a strategy my mom suggested. And I chew gum. I have a whole box of spearmint gum and I just chew it. All the time.

Not even just to stay awake, either. Bored and want a snack but don't really need one because I'm not really hungry but just like food? Gum. Delicious, spearmint gum. Hungry but there's only like half an hour until dinner so I should wait but I really just want to stuff myself with delicious crispy minis? Gum. Want food even though I've already brushed my teeth and am totally not getting up to do it again? Gum.

Actually I think I just chew gum to avoid snacking a lot of the time. I mean I'm not anorexic- I'm not chewing gum as a replacement for food- but I chew gum when I want to eat even though I'm not really hungry and the food I want to eat is shitty food. It gives me something to chew and it's fucking delicious and it makes my breath smell nice, plus I end up eating more healthy food (ie the meals from downstairs) and less snacky food (and I am a university student living away from my parents now so you can bet that I am taking advantage of not having them being all "well we don't really need that dear" over my shoulder hahahaha) and that's good for my health and my skin and bla bla bla.

I mean I feel like as a girl if I start getting concerned about my weight, people are going to be like "oh she's one of those girls" which kind of makes me want to punch those people in the arm but seriously, I don't want to be one of those girls. I don't. I'm not someone whose weight controls her entire life. I'm just trying to eat food that's good for me- like vegetables. I am probably eating more of those here than I did at home so that's good. Plus the mealtimes are set, so I have to eat at very regular intervals which keeps me on track.

And gum keeps me awake. It gives me something else to focus on so my mind doesn't wander. I keep doing that in philosophy, I'll be sitting there and the prof will finish saying something and I'll realize I have no idea what he just said and panic a little bit. But not with chewing gum.

Chewing gum: it's magical, yo. Take advantage of it. Only if you're like me and you get cavities just thinking about sugar, pls chew sugarfree gum. (Although if you are like me, I found long ago that not drinking carbonated beverages meant no more cavities and that made me verrrrrry happy) (Also carbonation is gross and makes my throat feel weird and just ugh no. Only in Europe will I drink carbonated beverages, which is a very odd thing to say).

yer pal,

No comments:

Post a Comment

comment-type-thingies