Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Looking back on the things I've done

I WAS TRYING TO BE SOMEONE
I PLAYED MY PART
KEPT YOU IN THE DAAAARK
NOW LET ME SHOW YOU THE SHAPE OF MY HEAAAAAARRRRT

Couldn't help it.

But I felt that it was necessary to make a list. It's been a big year- mainly because it's the year I became an adult, and that always seems to be a big year of finishing and starting.

STUFF I DID IN 2013:
1. Got into the university I am now attending
2. Wrote lots of diploma exams
3. Finished my Extended Essay
4. Finished my second Internal Assessment
5. Completed 2 oral exams
6. Received my high school diploma in the mail
7. Travelled to London and France with my school and family
8. Completed 13 World Exams
9. Finished high school
10. Got my IB diploma
11. Travelled to Ireland with my family
12. Got a job in the lab I worked in last year for a second summer
13. Moved away from home to go to university
14. Joined EPASS and was assigned to be an apprentice PM
15. Made a friend in my bio class!
16. Made a friend in my philosophy class (this ties into 18 greatly but they are still separate things)
17. Turned 18.
18. Began a relationship
19. Finished my first semester of university

I realize some of these may seem more important than others, but they're all still big things. 2014 for me looks a lot less eventful- in summary, it will be second semester, job & travel over the summer, and then first semester of second year. Which is fine- it'll be nice to have a year that's less busy so I can focus on working at things and figuring out some more direction for my life. Oh, and learning how to be an adult better. And possibly trying to be active more regularly- especially now that my class schedule doesn't conflict with rec skate times 3 days a week. I realize skating might not be the most intense exercise ever, but it's still something and the closest to flying I can possibly get.

It's been a good year, a learning year, a year of change and growth and doing new things. But I'm still looking forward to a year of slower growth and learning, and adapting. A year of reflection, if you will.

Most of my New Year's resolutions always revolve around trying to be a better person, trying to be kinder to others, to not say mean things, to listen to other people more, and to be fair to myself and others. This year I think I should add that I should commit more to keeping in touch with friends, and that I should do more writing. I've done a bit recently- thinking of doing some more today. Hopefully by the time NaNoWriMo 2014 rolls around, I'll be back in the saddle and ready to win again.
A small thing I'd like to do as well is explore my new city more- the city I'm going to university in- and maybe to learn how to do makeup to a greater extent than I do now. I feel like having that knowledge could be really fun, but I'm still so afraid to try. Oh, and I want to be able to touch my toes with my legs straight. I feel so lame not being able to do that.

However, I'm not setting the goal of "losing weight", for obvious reasons. I just hate that after New Year's, all gyms have these ads out offering discounts to help people "fulfill their New Year's resolutions" or "lose the weight you gained over Christmas." Guess what, not everyone considers getting into better shape to be something to pledge to do in the new year. I've included exercise because it helps with my mood, making me more stable. Also I think it helps me get better sleep and just makes me do better in school in general, probably because of the sleep and endorphins. If I happen to get into better shape as a result, then so be it.

yer pal,
swegan :)

Oh, Happy New Year's Eve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

comment-type-thingies