Saturday, April 26, 2014

Relationship things

Seriously I don't know how this is going so well. It's bizarre. It's been five months now (cue the condescension of adults everywhere who don't think that's a big deal) and things are still going very, very well. We text a lot. We skype a lot. I realize it's only a week into summer and that we're bound to fall off the wagon at some point or another with somehow managing to communicate daily, but things are working really, really well, and it's very bizarre to me.

The way I see relationships is that there's a good period, when you're happy and the relationship is new and everything is exciting and perfect and your mood about it all is a wistful, happy sigh. I only expected that to last a few months. That's where the hard stuff is supposed to start, I think, where you are supposed to come across obstacles.

Or maybe it's a statistical thing? The longer you're with someone, the more likely it is that you'll run into some difficulty that will have an impact on the relationship. It's even true with friendships, although I find those somewhat easier to maintain (not that I'm any good at it, anyway). Perhaps this is an indication that I simply picked someone who I really work well with, someone who I'll be with for a long haul (and by that I mean a relationship lasting a few years), but I don't want to think about that too much.

I keep trying to predict how long the relationship will last, and I'm not sure why. I think it's because my parents are putting so much weight on the fact that now I'm in university, where I will most likely meet someone I will settle down with. It's not that I don't like the idea of settling down, but I think they're getting too ahead of themselves. I'm still only 18. I'm even getting ahead of myself. There's no rush at all. Mom said closer to the beginning that she was worried that I was missing out on other options by being in a committed relationship so soon. Which again, ties into the being young thing- I am still very young. There is no need to be worried.

I need to stop thinking about this and just enjoy the relationship. We have a very good thing going, with lots of open communication, trust, respect, etc (SRSLY GUISE COMMUNICATION IS SO GREAT PLS BE HONEST WITH PEOPLE BUT ALSO BE GENTLE AND STUFF). I have my head way too high in the clouds with my parents (particularly my mother) being all crazy. I wish they could just be happy for me, that I'm happy and that I'm in a relationship with a good person, a smart person, a kind person. I suppose, though, that I can't let their wishes for me dictate how I think about things. I need to let it go and just focus on how I feel about things, since it is my life, after all.

I guess I am not that good at being a grownup yet. Not that I've had a lot of experience, anyway. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. In the meantime, I will focus on going to school, being a good friend, girlfriend, daughter, and sister, and enjoying my life while it is more than full of joy.

yer pal,
swegan :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

comment-type-thingies