Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Sweet Freedom

My last day back where I go to school was really hard. I mean, mostly it just consisted of packing up my room (and accidentally removing some paint thanks to my stupid calendar), which Ptarckas helped with, and then my parents left to go furniture shopping and Freckles went with them, and Ptarckas and I just sort of hung out all day. It was fun. We went back to do my room check around dinner, and after that, I was gone. My parents invited Ptarckas to join us for dinner, we dropped him off at the train station (after my dad very generously leave the restaurant early to say goodbye, which was no fun at all) and then we drove to a nearby city, stopped there overnight, and drove home the next day.

I still feel like I didn't get to say goodbye to everyone I wanted to. Carina and I actually had a whole afternoon of window shopping on the street I live on, which is full of random little stores and boutiques. We found a really cool vintage place that we had a lot of fun in, finding random objects and tapes and clothes and things. We didn't end up buying anything, but it was still fun to go out and making sassy little comments back and forth to each other. We also ended up going out for nachos (and realizing that the mexican place means that their nachos are more for 4 amigos than 2 amigos when it says "for 2-4 amigos") and then deciding to make a skype book club. Plus she gave me a hug when I walked her back to the train and I was like YAY WE HAVE REACHED THE HUG LEVEL OF FRIENDSHIP.

I haven't actually texted her in a couple of days now... she still has finals to write and stuff. I suppose I should, just to get our book club started. I'm thinking since she lives near a much bigger library, that I should find some books in the library here and then she should try and find them at her library and then we both read them and have a discussion. Although I'm supposed to be reading the "divergent" trilogy so I can go see the movie with Freckles, who has read the books and absolutely loves them. To me, they're certainly good, and I want to know what happens next, but it's not an insatiable hunger or anything.

Anyway, I say sweet freedom, and I mean it. No more homework, labs, exams, papers... it's glorious. Plus, I never have to take english again. Ever. No more analyzing anything for metaphors and symbolism ever again. From now on, I analyze books I read only as much as I want. Which makes me think of Like Water for Chocolate. I need a copy of that book.
But, the freedom is really nice. I've watched a lot of TV in the past couple of days (well, Netflix, to be accurate) and eaten a lot of good home food and slept SO MUCH and today Freckles and I went to the mall and it was so much fun, and I feel so relaxed. It's really good to have a break. I also got to see Artifex again, and another friend who clearly needs a nickname god fucking dammit. I need to get on that. Also, I feel that I should remove Tudo from the side list of friends, considering how she unfriended both Artifex and I on fb. Clearly she has moved on... it hurts, but I can't say I'm surprised.

The only thing I can think of that is contradictory to the title is that I do feel sort of constrained now. Whereas back at school I could pretty much come and go as I pleased to wherever public transportation or my own two feet would take me, now I feel that I can't leave the house after my parents go to bed and there's not a lot of places I'd go alone here at that time of night anyway, and it's not like I live a 5-minute walk away from anything to do that isn't a park. Plus, my battery is dead (like completely, totally, utterly dead, despite charging for two days- it seems no one has touched it for several months), so I have been graciously using my dad's old car (which apparently at this point IS old and is no longer worth very much given how often it needs to be fixed or needs something replaced) to go places. It is nice to drive again. I've missed it, and I feel really lucky that I get to come home back to my own car and drive it again.


Since I've been home, though, my main task has been checking my email for EPASS and grade notifications (I got an A- in Women's and Gender Studies!! Yay!), unpacking while listening to the cheesiest, least creative pop music that I can find, and eating. Oh, and drinking tea. Although I've found the only kind that I like is probably really expensive and hard to find. It doesn't have that sour aftertaste, which my mom refers to as "tannins" and I know nothing about tea at all so I'm assuming she's right.

Anyway... that's sort of an update. I haven't been posting anything this month because, well, it's been busy, and it's been the last month, and I guess I decided that school and making sure to spend time with people before I had to leave them were more important than blogging. That's bound to happen sometimes.

yer pal,
swegan

No comments:

Post a Comment

comment-type-thingies